International Stress Awareness Day was last Wednesday!
This was a day to spread awareness and knowledge about stress. This is the display that was set up in the University Centre, it outlined facts about stress and strategies to decrease the amount of stress in your life.
Here are some recommendations for stress reduction:
- Manage time effectively
- Don’t take on too many commitments
- Take time out to relax and recharge
- Think positively
- Avoid using alcohol, drugs and caffeine to cope
- Eat regularly and nutritiously
- At least 20 minutes of daily physical activity
- Listen to music you enjoy
The free presentation “Diet, Stress and IBS” was a great success and provided a great deal of useful information. Here is a sample of the information that was presented.
Strategies to relax the GI tract:
- Breathing from the diaphragm
- Progressive muscle relaxation in the abdomen, lower back and hips
- Walking regularly
- Learn to be assertive- get comfortable saying “NO” and don’t take on too many commitments
For good GI Function:
- Eat regularly- every 3-4 hours
- Eat nutritiously and drink enough water
- Avoid too much or too little fibre
- Eat slowly and chew thoroughly
- Establish a regular routine for eating, exercise and sleeping
- Reduce stress